Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Does rdiff implement kernel specific optimizati

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Does rdiff implement kernel specific optimizations?
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:30:00 -0500

On Jan 6, 2009, at 7:16 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
I just came across tee() and splice().  They were introduced in
2.6.17, so relatively new, but not that new.

http://linux.die.net/man/2/tee
http://linux.die.net/man/2/splice

They allow data to be copied from one file descriptor to another
without the data coming into userspace.

Until the rsync algorithm is implemented in kernelspace, the file data will have to be in userspace in order to be useful to rdiff-backup. :-)

If I was still an active developer, I think about modifying
rdiff-backup to use them if there available.

I doubt it would really impact the speed of rdiff-backup, but it seems
like a fun project and I always liked learning new system calls.

Perhaps adding them to Python would be fun project?

Andrew