Re: [rdiff-backup-users] getting cvs version to run

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] getting cvs version to run
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 10:34:16 -0500

On Dec 28, 2008, at 6:24 AM, John covici wrote:
On my Linux system, I would like to run the cvs version of
rdiff-backup by installing all the files in their proper places, etc.
Is this possible?  If so, could you let me know the steps -- seems
like all the pieces are not in the right places to do this.

John,

It is generally not recommended to run the CVS version by installing all of the pieces in the "installed" location -- if you do that, then you cannot use 'cvs update' to update all of the pieces at once. The recommended way to run it is to follow the directions in CVS-README. If you insist on installing the CVS version, then use the 'makedist' command in the dist folder. Please don't give it a version number of an actual release. (eg, use '1.2.3-John-CVS') That will build a .tar.gz, just like the ones you can download from the website.

If you are simply eager for the long list of current bugfixes, I suggest waiting. The next release will be in 0-2 days. :-)

Andrew

PS --
For example, `rdiff-backup` in my $PATH is just a shell script:
#!/bin/sh

RDB_CVS="/Users/owsla/backup coding/rdiff-backup-local"
PYTHONPATH="$RDB_CVS" "$RDB_CVS"/rdiff-backup "$@"

(although, maybe $@ shouldn't be in "" ? ... hmm, that's always worked, so far)