Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup on Ubuntu stopped working, gave Er

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup on Ubuntu stopped working, gave Errno 95
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 20:40:18 -0500

On Dec 19, 2008, at 7:28 PM, Bill Harris wrote:

I've got two Ubuntu systems on which I had been using rdiff-backup
successfully for some time (perhaps 2+ months). Sometime after December 13, my last successful backup, backups have consistently failed, as you
can see at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=981340&highlight=rdiff-backup
(see the response from me for the results I get to the terminal when I
run it).

While I'll be glad to share the simple script that created that error,
it simply calls rdiff-backup three times on different directories.  I
have been backing up another Linux box using an sshfs mount to this

Bill,

Based on your traceback, it looks like your sshfs setup is broken. Either sshfs has changed, or your kernel, or the server from which you are mounting the fs ...

The traceback says that rdiff-backup received "Operation not supported" (EOPNOTSUPP) when it tried to do:

mkdir "/media/Ext Drive/backups/rdiff-backup-moenchweiler-etc/rdiff- backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0"

if you can do that, as the user which rdiff-backup runs as, then there *could* be a bug in rdiff-backup, but based on what you have posted, I would say there is definitely a bug in sshfs or your setup. Given that it got an error while executing that simple command, I'm sure you agree that the problem is related to your sshfs setup. :-)

If you cannot determine where the bug is in this setup, I would recommend that you *not* use sshfs. Instead, you should install rdiff- backup on the destination system, and then run the backup as `rdiff- backup /my/files address@hidden::/my/backup`. It is much more reliable, you will get better performance due to the rsync algorithm, and rdiff- backup will intelligently avoid problematic filesystem issues.

Andrew