Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backup to a gnome GVFS destination.

From: Andreas Olsson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backup to a gnome GVFS destination.
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:39:56 +0100

On Friday 19 December 2008 16:21:59 Caetano Sauer wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if it would be possible to use
> gnome GVFS directories as destination for rdiff-backup. When doing
> remote backups, this would eliminate the need of having rdiff-backup
> installed in the remote machine, and it would also abstract the
> complexities and particularities of the destination filesystem.
>
> Any ideas on that?

When you do a GVFS mount you can find it in the filesystem below ~/.gvfs/

That said, it *might* be possible to use ~/.gvfs/mount/point as a destination.

When I tried to backup against an GVFS sftp mount I got a traceback about
permission error. Perhaps you can get it to work using different settings.

A better/easier solution, if you have SFTP access might be to use sshfs.

http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/index.php?title=BackupToSshfsMount

--
Andreas Olsson
http://www.andreasolsson.se/