Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Errors with rdiff-backup 1.2.2?

From: Kevin Horton
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Errors with rdiff-backup 1.2.2?
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 06:33:49 -0500

On 17-Dec-08, at 21:26 , Andrew Ferguson wrote:

Andrew,

Thanks for the comments and advice.

I think your problems probably stem from the method used to connect the EeePC to the Mac. What were you using to reach the EeePC's files? Samba? I suspect that Samba is incapable of presenting the filesystem properly to the Mac for rdiff-backup to intelligently ignore the files. Also, what is the type of /Volumes/Seagate_500 ?

I am not sure how OS X connected to the EeePC, as it simply presented the same GUI connection dialog that it uses for other connection methods, with no clue as to what the underlying mechanism was. But I suspect it must have been Samba.

Are you able to install rdiff-backup on the EeePC ? If so, then you wouldn't need to mount the files over the network, and rdiff-backup might do a better job.

I installed rdiff-backup on the EeePC, got sshd working, and was able to successfully backup with no errors.

--
Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada