Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Fatal Error: Last selection expression:

From: Dominic
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Fatal Error: Last selection expression:
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:28:45 +0000

Hi Hanpedro,

I will try to explain a little more clearly. Your command line is backing up the source folder '/'. This folder contains /etc which contains /etc/ssh which contain /etc/ssh/*, so there is no need to include /etc/ssh/* a second time in the include-globbing-filelist /root/backuplist.txt.

Try removing the line '/etc/ssh/*' from /root/backuplist.txt, then run the backup command and have a look in the repository (that is, the destination) - you should find the contents of /etc/ssh/* at /var/_backup/etc/ssh.

[As I understand it from reading the section in man, the purpose of the '--include' option (and related options) is to re-include files that have been excluded by an '--exclude' option (and related options) appearing later on the command line (later because the options are processed in reverse order). You cannot include files or directories with an '--include' option that are not in the original source directory.]

Regards

Dominic

hanpedro wrote:
Dominic,

Thanks for your kind comment.

My previous quote is mistake.
Actually I couldn't see your message.
My browser has some problem.....

About "Solution is to remove this line from /root/backuplist.txt ", I want to
backup /etc/ssh/*.

Anyway, I will try and ask you again.

Dominic wrote:
My guess is that your file /root/backuplist.txt has in it a line

/etc/ssh/*
and this is causing rdiff-backup to fail (because, as it explains, you are trying to include something that would be included anyway and so it thinks you must have made a mistake). Solution is to remove this line from /root/backuplist.txt
Dominic

hanpedro wrote:
****This is an edited version of a previous post****

I've installed rdiff-backup as follows:

vista x64 : cygwin with rdiff-backup 1.2.1
centos 5.2 on vmware : rdiff-backup 1.2.2

Command: rdiff-backup --force --print-statistics --include-globbing-filelist
/root/backuplist.txt / identityname::/var/_backup

error message:
[root:localhost:~]# rdiff-backup --force --print-statistics
--include-globbing-filelist /root/backuplist.txt / identityname::/var/_backup
Warning: Local version 1.2.2 does not match remote version 1.2.1.
Fatal Error: Last selection expression:
Command-line include glob: /etc/ssh/*
only specifies that files be included.  Because the default is to
include all files, the expression is redundant.  Exiting because this
probably isn't what you meant.

Any comment would be appreciated.