Re: [rdiff-backup-users] trouble with rdiff-backup 1.1.16 on ubuntu intr

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] trouble with rdiff-backup 1.1.16 on ubuntu intrepid after upgrading from 1.1.15
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 18:49:30 -0500

On Nov 13, 2008, at 6:30 PM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
Hans-Christian Armingeon wrote:
Hi,

I'm having some troubles with rdiff-backup 1.1.16.

I hade a backup directory, which I had been using with version 1.1.15. After the upgrade, I wanted to do a backup. The backup directory ran out of space.

rdiff-backup --check-destination-dir fails with the error appended below. I tried this with verison 1.1.16 and 1.2.2. Could anyone give me a pointer, what
to do?

Many thanks in advance,

Hans-Christian

If the mirror is /completely/ full, the best thing to do is probably use
--remove-older-than.  If you are unwilling to lose that older data,
copy it elsewhere then do it, then run --check-destination-dir, then
copy it back.

Besides Matt's good advice, you should also be aware of how/why rdiff- backup needs temporary space and how to control where that is:

http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/FAQ.html#free_space

Andrew