Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup trying to access ~/.gvfs, even tho

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup trying to access ~/.gvfs, even though it is excluded
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:14:41 -0500

On Nov 2, 2008, at 9:29 AM, André wrote:

I mistakenly responded only to Andreas. Below is my response.

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 13:22, Andreas Olsson <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sunday 02 November 2008 13:13:16 André wrote:
/etc/cron.daily/daily_backup:
ListError user/.gtk-bookmarks/.gvfs [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/home/user/.gvfs'

Could that be a directory symlink which causes confusion? What happens if you
try using the option --exclude-symbolic-links?

Sorry, but that didn't help. Will rdiff-backup ever try to access
files/directories that are excluded? If so, why? If it does that, it
will get the permission denied error on this particular "directory".

Ok, I have determined what is going on here.

Rdiff-backup reads files that are excluded because such files could be excluded based on criteria which is only available if you read it. For example, --exclude-symlinks.

I believe André and Steve were seeing ListError's because older versions of rdiff-backup did not properly capture listattr() failing due to EACCES or EPERM. Thus, that EACCES / EPERM error propagated up, and became a ListError.

The CVS version of rdiff-backup properly catches the listattr() failing, thus preventing the ListError from being generated. The warning message from listattr() failing is now verbosity level 4, whereas it was previously verbosity level 3.

Andrew