Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup, broken symlinks and python 2.4?

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup, broken symlinks and python 2.4?
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 22:17:45 -0500

On Nov 8, 2008, at 9:04 PM, Andreas Olsson wrote:

When I upgraded my servers running Ubuntu 6.06 and Ubuntu 4.0 to use
rdiff-backup 1.2.2 I've started getting some strange warnings regarding broken symlinks. This is a new behavior not seen using previous version of rdiff-backup.

Yes, in 1.2.2, I enabled support for extended attributes on symlinks since it looks like modern systems support them.

These are the warnings I get while trying to backup broken symlinks

address@hidden:~/temp$ rdiff-backup from/ to/
Warning: listattr('from/linkdir/a'): [Errno 2] No such file or directory Warning: listattr('to/linkdir/rdiff-backup.tmp.2'): [Errno 2] No such file or directory Warning: listattr('from/linkdir/c'): [Errno 2] No such file or directory Warning: listattr('to/linkdir/rdiff-backup.tmp.4'): [Errno 2] No such file or directory
address@hidden:~/temp$ rm -rf to/*
address@hidden:~/temp$ rdiff-backup --exclude-symbolic-links from/ to/
Warning: listattr('from/linkdir/a'): [Errno 2] No such file or directory Warning: listattr('from/linkdir/c'): [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Yes, it's a warning (non-fatal).

This by the way, is the content of my from folder

address@hidden:~/temp$ ls -l from/filedir/
total 4
-rw-rw---- 1 andreas andreas 2 2008-11-09 02:36 b
address@hidden:~/temp$ ls -l from/linkdir/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 andreas andreas 12 2008-11-09 02:36 a -> ../filedir/a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 andreas andreas 12 2008-11-09 02:37 b -> ../filedir/b
lrwxrwxrwx 1 andreas andreas 12 2008-11-09 02:37 c -> ../filedir/c

These warnings only shows up if python-pyxattr is installed

Try updating your version of python-pyxattr. What *should* be happening is that the extended attribute calls are working on the symlink, and not the target of the symlink. Since the warning makes sense if the later is happening (target of the symlink), I suspect a bug in python-pyxattr or lower. (Or maybe older Ubuntu don't even support xattr on symlink).

If updating your version of python-pyxattr does not work, it may be that I should change the logic which leads to printing that warning. That is, the logic which leads to printing that warning may only make sense if the file in question is not a symlink.

Andrew