Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Native version on Windows 2000

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Native version on Windows 2000
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 00:20:02 -0400

On Sep 17, 2008, at 10:26 PM, Brendan Grossman wrote:
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone is running the native Windows version on
Windows 2000 successfully?

I am having this same problem on all my Windows 2000 servers. The data
is copied, but then it exits with the following:

Thu Sep 18 11:06:33 2008  Exception '(1336,
'ConvertSecurityDescriptorToStringSecurityDescriptor', 'The access
control list (ACL) structure is invalid.')' raised of class '<class
'pywintypes.error'>':

Hi Brendan,

You're right -- rdiff-backup 1.2.1 does not run on Windows 2000. It's support for Windows security descriptors (ACLs) has a few difficulties. Thanks for bringing those problems to light, and thanks to Fred Gansevles for doing the initial support for Windows ACLs.

After getting a Windows 2000 VM up and running, I've been able to fix all of the issues I can generate. The fixes are in CVS, and I will releasing a new version, 1.2.2, after I finish my testing.

If you'd like to try it as well, I have made a pre-release of the Windows version available:
http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/rdiff-backup/testing/rdiff-backup-1.2.2pre.exe

The CHANGELOG for that prerelease is here:
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/rdiff-backup/CHANGELOG?revision=1.308&root=rdiff-backup

thanks,
Andrew