Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Status of native Windows port?

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Status of native Windows port?
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 15:04:29 -0400

Adding support for paramiko is certainly quite interesting. I wouldn't refuse a patch to support it on principle.

Personally, I found installing putty and the SSH corporation's windows binaries very straight-forward, and with the new Wiki entry and Windows README file, I think the process of setting up remote operations with rdiff-backup on Windows should now be fairly well documented and possible to replicate (including the SSH setup part).

Relying on an external SSH certainly gives us several big advantages: well tested, trusted, all configuration options are available, etc. If we integrated Paramiko, rdiff-backup would be responsible for replicating a pretty large chunk of code which we can currently call out to and rely on to 'just work'...

Also, integrating Paramiko would give us the first dependency which is under active development. The EA and ACL libraries have very few updates.

I suppose all of this is an argument for adding Paramiko support alongside the regular SSH support.

So, yes, if anyone wants to write a patch to support Paramiko, go for it! Just don't break the existing SSH setup. :-)

Andrew