[rdiff-backup-users] Do any more traditional apps support reverse differ

From: mattcollins
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Do any more traditional apps support reverse differences?
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 09:35:02 -0400

I'm putting together a backup system for maybe 1 TB of traditional office type
data and 5 TB (now, +1 TB per 6 months) of static image data. The images are
created once, never changed, and more images are created every day. Though the
image data lends itself to backing up with something simple with rsync, I want
to use exactly one backup methodology for everything.

I like rdiff-backup's method of maintaining one full copy and reverse
differences to recover older versions. With traditional forward differences I
have to run a full backup every so often and I really don't want to do that on
so much data. In addition, you have to maintain two complete full backups to
support the incrementals for your whole restoration window which doubles my
storage.

I like the catalog features of traditional backup software (Amanda, Bacula,
BackupExec, etc). I like being able to search for a file and view all versions
of it quickly. I also like that Windows ACLs and Mac resources are preserved
with the OS-native clients for most of these apps. Unfortunately they all
seemed designed for tape and even their disk backups emulate tape in that you
can't go back and update the middle of a full backup like what rdiff-backup
does.

Is there a product that combines the cataloging and OS support of traditional
solutions with the type of rotation that rdiff-backup can do? Is this product
_not_ called "Netapp Filer"? :)