Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Building rdiff-backup on Windows

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Building rdiff-backup on Windows
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:16:00 -0400

On Apr 8, 2008, at 8:23 AM, Josh Nisly wrote:
Andrew, the whole point of my patches is to make so that rdiff- backup builds and runs without cygwin, i.e. natively. Knowing this might make some of the below make more sense

Ah! Of course. Sorry to have forgotten that. :-)

Under a normal non-cygwin Windows build, there is no place to look for the librsync library, so you have to specify a location somehwere. It seemed that looking in the current directory was the most generic place. Another option would be allowing the --librsync- dir option to work on nt platforms (we only support this flag on posix platforms.)

Yes, that is what we should do (--librsync-dir option). Best to do it right the first time, eh? Since the flags handling part of setup.py is enclosed in an "os.name == 'posix'" test, can you split out the parts that are actually not posix-specific? (if any of them are)

Ideally, what we want in setup.py is:

0) Handling of arguments that is generic (same on Posix and Windows)
1) Special handling for Posix-only
2) Special handling for Windows-only

3) call to setup(name="rdiff-backup", version= ....)

The libcmt.lib is a Microsoft compiler thing. Again, it could be made a flag, although it will always have to be that option, because of the mess that Microsoft has made of their libraries.

Sounds like a flag for libcmt.lib is unnecessary, then. However, you shouldn't simply set lflags_arg to be that, but should append to that array. (We don't want to overwrite anything the user may have set)

Andrew