Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long

From: Steve White
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:25:44 +0100

Andrew,

I have put the
        --exclude-sockets
flag into the run line, but problems persist (as reported on this list
by others).

SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-03xPEO/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-4qHMp9/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-KT6gV6/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-LDecfv/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-jpogjm/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-nmtjj8/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-s2zl6H/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-ufvg5k/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-y5JMv9/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
SpecialFileError var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
SpecialFileError var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too
long
SpecialFileError var/run/iiim/.iiimp-unix/9010 Socket error: AF_UNIX path too
long

I don't understand the complaint about the path being too long.
None of these file names itself is long...

Cheers!

On  8.01.08, Steve White wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> On  7.01.08, Andrew Ferguson wrote:
> > Steve White wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm getting such errors from rdiff-backup 1.0.5 in a SL 4.5 system:
> > > SpecialFileError var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock Socket error: AF_UNIX path
> > > too long SpecialFileError var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket Socket
> > > error: AF_UNIX path too l ong
> > >
> > > There have been several discussions on this list concerning this. Of
> > > course it is questionable to back up sockets, so there was advice to
> > > use --exclude-sockets,
> >
> > Hi Steve,
> >
> > I don't think any users have had trouble with --exclude-sockets
> > recently. From what I can tell, any further errors after using that
> > option were entirely unrelated to sockets.
> >
> So, I take it that your advice is to use the
>       --exclude-sockets
> option.
>
> I will try this.  For my purposes, there is no need to back up sockets.
>

> > If you are seeing SpecialFileError's, those errors should be
> > recoverable. That is, rdiff-backup does finish correctly, doesn't it? If
> > it does, then you have nothing to worry about, and can indeed continue
> > *without* using the --exclude-sockets option. What happens is this:
> > rdiff-backup tries to make the socket, encounters the AF_UNIX error,
> > recovers by storing information about the socket in the mirror_metadata,
> > and then logs the SpecialFileError. On restore, rdiff-backup will
> > attempt to recreate the socket by using the stored metadata.
> >
> > If rdiff-backup is *not* finishing correctly, please send the complete
> > error message, as it is most likely not due to the AF_UNIX message.
> >
> I sent you the complete error message.
>
> Did you expect something more?
>
> Except for the error message, I have no evidence that rdiff-backup failed.
>
> Cheers!

Steve White                                             +49(331)7499-202
Computer Programmierer                                    Zi. 35  Bg. 20
Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam (AIP)
An der Sternwarte 16, D-14482 Potsdam

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Matthias Steinmetz, Peter A. Stolz

Stiftung privaten Rechts, Stiftungsverzeichnis Brandenburg: III/7-71-026