Re: [rdiff-backup-users] can rdiff-backup be stopped / paused / restarte

From: Andreas Olsson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] can rdiff-backup be stopped / paused / restarted? - HOWTO?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:47:19 +0100

On Sunday 13 January 2008 15:13:30 Lexje wrote:
> I'm trying to backup a complete server over the internet.
> Is it possible to pause, stop / restart rdiff-backup? (To free up / respect
> bandwith limitations)
>
> What happens if I just ctrl-c the process, and then restart the process?
> Will it resume?

No, I'm afraid that approach won't work. If you abort rdiff-backup halfway
you'll simply end up with a broken repository on the destination.

If this happens on the first backup you'll simply have to remove/empty your
destination directory and begin from scratch. If you abort a backup to an
existing repository your next run will start by calling an
automatic --check-destination-dir, which will return your repository to the
state it was in before your interrupted transfer. In none of the cases the
interrupted transfer will have done you any good.

What you can try, if you have enough free space, is to run rdiff-backup
against a local destination and then rsync the repository to its remote
location.  Rsync you can always trust to resume properly :-)

Feel free to take a look at this page in the wiki. It also provides a script
which wraps rdiff-backup and rsync into one.

http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/index.php/BackupUpOnUnreliableLink

--
Andreas Olsson
http://www.andreasolsson.se/