Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Stale NFS file handle error with unfsd and symb

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Stale NFS file handle error with unfsd and symbolic file
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 13:03:17 -0400

Toshiyuki Ishimura wrote:
> I try to run rsync as follows,
> local:~$ rsync -a -x --delete hoge/ mnt
>
> There is no errors, and local files are completely copied to the remote.

Were you running as root?

Also, can you run rsync again, but with "-v -v" to increase verbosity to
level 2? I am interested in the rsync logs at that level.

Actually, I'm not sure if unfsd supports the lchown() call. I can't find
any reference to it in the unfsd sources. Perhaps the kernel-mode NFS
daemon supports lchown(), which is why you have not seen this problem in
the past.

rsync runs some checks to see if it is even necessary to call lchown()
on a file before doing so, whereas rdiff-backup always calls it while
setting attributes. That could be why rsync avoids hitting this issue.

Thanks,
Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden