Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup on osx

From: Christopher Bort
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup on osx
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 07:38:46 -0700

On 06/28/07 06:46, address@hidden (aurbain) wrote:

Christopher Bort wrote:
On 06/27/07 14:36, address@hidden (aurbain) wrote:

I've installed librsync from source and installed rdiff-backup.

`which rdiff-backup` says there isnt one.

So the rdiff-backup binary is not in your $PATH.

would you run `which rdiff-backup` and post the path and perhaps the contents of the file. I'd bet its not a binary.

$ which rdiff-backup
/sw/bin/rdiff-backup

Sorry, I mispoke. It is a Python script. Replace 'binary' with 'command' or 'executable,' your choice. At any rate, in this context, it's not really relevant, although the file does need to have executable permissions.

If I run python /SystemLibrary/Frameworks......./rdiff-backup it runs as expected. Where is the wrapper program that gets invoked by ssh?

Is rdiff-backup really somewhere in /System/Library/Frameworks? That's a very bad place for it to be. You should never put anything in /System in OS X. That's for Apple to put things that relate to the, um, operating system. Either install rdiff-backup in a directory that is in your $PATH or add the directory it's in to your $PATH.

Or, a third option, call it by its full path.

I'd suggest using either fink (<http://www.finkproject.org/>) or
Darwinports (<http://darwinports.com/>) to install rdiff-backup.

Um, rdiff-backup is a python app which gets installed in the python directory when you run `python setup.py install`. As my production macs have never seen the internet, this is not an option for me. Would *love* to have a step-by-step for compiling and installing from source.

As demonstrated by the 'which rdiff-backup' above, the executable does not have to live in the python directory.

--
Christopher Bort
<address@hidden>