Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Could someone please suggest a backup strategy?

From: Eric Jensen
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Could someone please suggest a backup strategy?
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:53:20 -0400

Hi,

> Can anyone suggest a good strategy to backup say every two weeks?
> When i used to use Windows, i'd use a file manager and just select all
> the new or changed files once a month, output in the original folder
> structure, and copy the whole thing to a CD, but rdiff-backup looks
> more elegant and it's something that i may even be able to continue to
> work on as time goes on.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your question and just stating the
obvious, but a good backup strategy would be just to run your script
periodically.  The first time you run it, it will make a full copy, but
subsequent times it will update the full mirror, and also store the
changes since the last backup.  So you don't have to worry about
figuring out which files have changed - rdiff-backup will do that for
you, and you'll always have both a current full mirror of your data, and
the ability to revert the state of your filesystem back to some previous
backup date.

You mentioned copying the backup to a DVD - depending on how many
changed files you have and how close you are already to the capacity of
a DVD, you may be able to periodically continue to do that; the size of
your backup on disk will only grow as fast as the amount of changes to
your filesystem between consecutive backups.

Hope this helps,

Eric