Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Re: rdiff-backup when disk is full (was: Re

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Re: rdiff-backup when disk is full (was: Re: Trace when listing backup and not enough permissions)
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 05:06:41 -0500

Wiebe Cazemier wrote:
On Sunday 03 June 2007 09:16, Charles Duffy wrote:
Granted -- but I still see the security issues implicit with running
rdiff-backup as root on the server as a far greater liability than the
benefit of not needing the tool to restore.

You can't be root on the server when there is no server; when you're backing up
to a local disk (to have an easy backup with retention).

Local backups are a special case, and I'll grant that they're considerably less security-sensitive.

That said, backing up to a local disk does not necessarily imply not having a server. Just set your --remote-schema command to change to a different user (su, sudo, chpst, whatever) before invoking rdiff-backup --server, and there you are.