Re: [rdiff-backup-users] strange characters in backup

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] strange characters in backup
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 19:35:26 -0500

John Joseph Bachir wrote:
Hello. I just started using rdiff-backup. Everything seems to be going as expected, except the first letter of every filename is in represented as what I'm guessing is a numeric index from a character set.

Applications: ;065pplications
Desktop: ;068esktop

Is this normal? I am running on OS X, source and destination are drives mounted on the same system.
Yes, it's normal, and the names will come out as you expect them on restore. (Think about the corner cases involved in backing up a case-sensitive filesystem to a case-insensitive one if that logic weren't in place!)