[rdiff-backup-users] hard linking not supported error on HFS+ volume

From: lokke
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] hard linking not supported error on HFS+ volume
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 07:59:26 -0700 (PDT)

hello,

i searched for this error but only found references to it happening on
SMB/CIFS shares, not HFS+ shares mounted via AFP.

i am running an OSX 10.4.8 server on an Xserve dual 2.3GHZ PPC, which i need
to backup

the source files are on an Xraid mounted via fibre channel, and the
destination is on another Xraid served from another Xserve and mounted via
AFP (over gigabit ethernet.)

i set up a test environment on a desktop mac, reading files off the local
hard drive and copying them to the actual backup server in question (mounted
the same way as it would be in the production environment.)

i got rdiff-backup to install fine using fink, but when i tried to run it i
got the following error:

macosx-162:~ lokke$ sudo rdiff-backup /cu204
/Volumes/Backup/test_backup/rdiff_test/
Warning: hard linking not supported by filesystem at
/Volumes/Backup/test_backup/rdiff_test/rdiff-backup-data

this seems odd, as if i recall correctly, hard linking is most certainly
supported on the backup volume.

it looks like most of the files copied correctly, but the error worries me.

has anyone seen this?

apologies if this has been covered before, but all my googling only came up
with examples of this error on SMB/CIFS mounts.