Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backup of changing files

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backup of changing files
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 10:19:57 -0500

Baldur Norddahl wrote:
I am aware of an earlier thread on this mail list, which proposes using LVM for freezing the source while doing the backup. This will indeed work for my purpose, but will require extensively reconfiguration of my setup and should be unnecessary. Even using LVM, my backup will be in an invalid state (it equals to a database crash). The LVM option adds a lot of complexity for little gain.

My first inclination is still LVM snapshotting. That said, I use rdiff-backup for several Oracle databases by running a consistent dump before rdiff-backup kicks off, compressing the dump using gzip+rsyncable and backing up the dump rather than the database files, so there's a distinction between what I'm saying and what I do in practice. :)

That said, since you're using PITR, why not just set the archive_command to copy out to a location rdiff-backup picks up from?