Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup error: Mac OS X -> Linux

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup error: Mac OS X -> Linux
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:37:11 -0400

Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Andrew Ferguson wrote:
>
>>  Chris, rdiff-backup will adjust permissions as necessary (eg, adding 100 to
>>  Spotlight-V100 during backup), but you have to be the file's owner to do so
>>  (or root).
>
> Sorry for the late reply. Do you happen to know where it does that, and since
> what version? I've run into this problem when backing up directories with
> weird
> permissions using 1.0.4 and 1.0.5.
>
> Also, rdiff-backup shouldn't need any special permissions to alter the
> permissions of the directories _which it creates and owns_ in the mirror. It
> just needs to be careful to ensure that they are created with sane
> permissions.

Chris,

I misread the code in question. rdiff-backup does behave as you
describe. It does NOT adjust the permissions on unreadable source-side
directories if you are the owner. Sorry for believing otherwise.

And yes, on the destination side, rdiff-backup does adjust the
permissions on the fly since it created and owns the directories in
question. It does not give them sane permissions permanently because
rdiff-backup tries to maintain an exact replica of the source on the
destination side.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden