Re: [rdiff-backup-users] hardlink-only mode?

From: rdiff
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] hardlink-only mode?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:00:51 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, Luke Scott wrote:

My hope is to create an option in rdiff-backup so that instead of the
mirror directory containing duplicates of the original data, the mirror
contains *hardlinks* to the original data.

Your need gives me an idea which would be useful for our own company. Impelementing FUSEfs to mount the backed up files as a directory tree of
/
+ 2007-02-11--10:30:37/
|    Your files here...
+ 2007-01-17--11:30:37/
|    More files here...
+ current/
|    Current files here

This would of course be a read-only mount. Upon read, the fusefs interface would call rdiff-backup to extract the file to read to some /tmp/ directory and delete it when the file closed. You could even leave the tmp file there for some period of time in case it became needed again since restore is not the most optimalprocess.

This would eliminate duplication with hardlinks, except upon read when rdiff-backup would be called to extract it.

Thoughts?  Does anyone have time to implement this?

-Eric