[rdiff-backup-users] handling of files missing in rdiff-backup repositor

From: devzero
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] handling of files missing in rdiff-backup repository
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 20:22:14 +0100

Hello !

i needed to remove some really large files from the rdiff-backup repository
(ran into diskspace problems) , and this made my last backup run fail
completely. i hoped rdiff-backup would only complain when trying to restore,
but it complained while doing the backup.

after failing, i did "rdiff-backup --check-destination-dir ./rdiff-backup-repo"
 and rdiff-backup behaved quite nicely and fixed the problem - reporting this
in easy understandable message:

>A regular file was indicated by the metadata, but could not be
>constructed from existing increments because last increment had type
>None.  Instead of the actual file's data, an empty length file will be
>created.  This error is probably caused by data loss in the
>rdiff-backup destination directory, or a bug in rdiff-backup
>Warning: Could not restore file
>srv/www/web4/html/video/roni_size&cypress_hill-child_of_the_wild_west.mpg!

great feature - but - i would like to discuss, what can be done to be able to
remove files from the backup-repository _without_ the risk of inconsistencies
like this, (needing "--check-destination-dir" after the next backup failing).

what about adding a command to remove files with additional adjustment of the
metadata ?

i tested the following:
remove some file and ran "--check-destination-dir" afterwards, but this time,
rdiff-backup was telling "Fatal Error: Destination dir /backup/rdiff-repo does
not need checking"

regards
roland

ps:
ok, this is not a real issue because we should never do such ugly file deletion
in the repository, but iirc, several users have requested "remove files from
repository" as a feature.

Jetzt gratis testen! http://freemail.web.de/home/landingpad/?mc=021130