Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Bundle rdiff-backup

From: David Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Bundle rdiff-backup
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:37:56 +1100

Hi Daniel,
We have done something similar with rdiff-backup. Generally the application you are writing doesn't even need to use rdiff-backup, it can just schedule it to run with certain parameters. For me, the chief role in a GUI would be for file selection and scheduling, and also handling restores. These things don't need to actually do anything more than call rdiff at the right time, so you simply need to distribute rdiff-backup with your product and include the source to rdiff-backup in the distribution or accompanied by an easy way to get the source(not hard when its python, but the stuff in C you need to be aware of). I am not a lawyer or the copyright holder, so I am only saying this from someone who has done it before....

thanks

dave

Daniel wrote:
hi to everyone,

I've recently discovered rdiff-backup and I must admit it is wonderful
- it was exactly what I was searching for (for a small backup&sync
solution). I wanted to write also a qt4-based application for
administer various backups and here come my question:

how can I bundle rdiff-backup within my application? Does anybody know
if this is possible?

I'm developing right now on a MacIntel computer, but I've choosen Qt4
for maintaining a good portability.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel