Re: [rdiff-backup-users] installation on Suse 9.2

From: Dave Howorth
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] installation on Suse 9.2
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:39:02 +0000

Charles Duffy wrote:
> How are you doing the installation? "python setup.py install"?

I did various runs but the last two setup commands I ran were:

  python setup.py build
  python setup.py install --prefix=/usr/local

> If so, what is the output from "which python"?

  /usr/bin/python

> Does it help if you hard-specify an interpreter path?

I'm not sure what you mean?

> The modules shouldn't have gone under /usr/local unless a non-default
> Python installation were in use. (I work with SLES9, which is based on
> SuSE 9.1, and have had the same librsync issue you're mentioning -- but

rdiff-backup went under /usr/local because I asked it to install it
there since I thought that was the right place to put hand-installed
software? More particularly, I understand that rdiff-backup's setup.py
uses /usr/bin by default; which I believe is the wrong place to install,
since Suse 9.2 is an RPM-based system managed by YaST. I think /usr/bin
is a managed directory?

/usr/local/lib64/python2.3/site-packages is not a directory I told it to
use for the modules, so I guess something in the Suse Python system told
setup.py to put things there, in which case I'm surprised python doesn't
subsequently know how find them!

But I don't know how the location of the rdiff-backup script influences
the location of the modules, either in Python convention, Suse
conventions or rdiff-backup's particular installation.

> no problems with setup.py install putting modules somewhere outside of
> the interpreter's default search path).

Hmm, I don't know Python so I don't know how it's set up. PYTHONPATH was
empty and <http://docs.python.org/tut/node8.html> says that variable is
the method that is used by Python to search for modules. Are you saying
that there should be some other paths defined in some other Python
system configuration? Or that PYTHONPATH should have some paths in it?
And in either case, what paths should they be.

Thanks, Dave