Re: [rdiff-backup-users] check-dst-dir fails but not implicit regression

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] check-dst-dir fails but not implicit regression
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:03:43 +0100

Hello,

> What are the permissions on the directory now?

drwx--S--- and drwx------ - this particular file has not been changed in a
long while. I'm not sure why it's even trying to modify it.

Could it be that --check-destination-dir does something in addition to
regression - such as trying to make sure that the modes of the files match
that specified in the separately tracked metadata?

Because that would mean it tries to chmod the file for the purpose of matching
the metadata, which would be consistent with this behavior if it does not
realize that this particular mode is not allowed to be set as non-root.

> Also, is it possible that either:
>
> - The backup filesystem is mounted 'nosuid'?

Nope:

/dev/raid0e on /mnt/raid0 type ffs (soft dependencies, NFS exported, local)

This is on a NetBSD system (the system being backed up is a FreeBSD system).

> - You ran the --check-destination-dir process as a different user than
> the backup process ran as?

No I have been quite careful with that. I have also checked and made sure the
file in the backup directory is really owned by that user (i.e., that somehow
the backup was once performed as the wrong user, though I cannot see how that
would have happened).

However the user on the backup host is *NOT* root (which I guess you have
already inferred), by design.

Thanks,

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to address@hidden