Re: [rdiff-backup-users] OverflowError reading get_sigs() response in ve

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] OverflowError reading get_sigs() response in very large tree
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 05:44:57 -0600

dean gaudet wrote:
i wonder why i don't have this problem on million+ inode systems... i've had it working with python2.3 before too (although i'm using 2.4 now)... i'm still on 1.0.x.

is there a 32/64-bit mismatch between your hosts? any chance there's some bug in that?

Both systems are 64-bit.

Also, looking at the code for Python 2.3, I was wrong to specify PY_SSIZE_T_MAX; it's rather INT_MAX which is compared against (until Python 2.5, the first release using PY_SSIZE_T_MAX). I'll be building a debug version of Python 2.3 and looking at what's going on from gdb today as well as checking for whether the PY_SSIZE_T patch resolved the issue in Python 2.5.

INT_MAX is the same on both platforms (2147483647), and I'm inclined to call it a pretty safe bet we aren't actually transferring that much data. (I was looking at an even larger number at first because sys.maxint returns LONG_MAX, which is *very* different between the two platforms, and was speculating about issues relating to INT_MAX being unable to fit into an ssize_t; however, ssize_t appears to be an integer, like INT_MAX, so this suspicion appears unfounded).

I'll keep you (and the rest of the list) informed.