Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Chinese characters in filenames on Cygwin + Win

From: Qiqi Yan
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Chinese characters in filenames on Cygwin + Win XP
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 03:27:11 +0800

Hi all,

Thank you for your reply. But here comes more puzzles...and possibly a bug of
rdiff-backup.

Dave is right in that after --override-chars-to-quote there should be a list of
chars. The default is "^A-Za-z0-9_ -." for win XP.

For my purpose, I changed it to ":", and this command worked at the first try:

rdiff-backup --override-chars-to-quote ":" /cygdrive/e/test/original
/cygdrive/e/test/backup

However, when this was run for a second time (without doing anything else),
this error showed up:

Fatal Error: Bad rdiff-backup-data dir on destination side

The rdiff-backup data directory
/cygdrive/e/test/backup/rdiff-backup-data
exists, but we cannot find a valid current_mirror marker.  You can
avoid this message by removing the rdiff-backup-data directory;
however any data in it will be lost.

Probably this error was caused because the first rdiff-backup session
into a new directory failed.  If this is the case it is safe to delete
the rdiff-backup-data directory because there is no important
information in it.

I tried to add more symbols like ":?*<>|\"\\/", but didn't work either. I don't
know if I am missing any symbol that has to be quoted?

I also did the test Kevin suggested, but without using
--override-chars-to-quote. What surprised me was that, the files simply went
missing! and couldn't be restored! Is this a bug? I am using 1.1.5. Maybe will
retest it tomorrow using 1.1.7.

Best,
Qiqi