Re: [rdiff-backup-users] stupid, stupid question, but necessary to know

From: Ty! Boyack
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] stupid, stupid question, but necessary to know answer
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 10:34:21 -0600

Maarten Bezemer wrote:

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, J. Norment wrote:

I think I did a bone-headed thing. I excluded the rdiff-backup-data path in the backup. I probably want that path in order to do incremental restores... is that correct?

Hmm.. never tried that. You mean you have an --exclude rdiff-backup-data
on your command line?

This made me think about something related: what happens if the tree
you're backup up contains an rdiff-backup-data directory? Will it be
escaped? Will it be ignored? Will it be used and screw up the whole thing?

Maybe there's a difference between having an rdiff-backup-data directory
at the top-level of the backed-up tree or having it somewhere down the
tree. The latter case might give other problems when trying to restore
parts of the tree below that point?

Could someone familiar to the sources and the ideas please shed some light
on this?

Regards,
Maarten

Along the same lines, I'd really like to see a way to send the rdiff-backup-data directory to another location. Right now I use 2 volumes for backed up data repositories - a source volume and a backup volume, which is an identical copy plus the rdiff-backup-data directory (the normal ridff-backup scenario). If the source volume fails, I bring up the backup volume as a primary volume. But of course, this contains an rdiff-backup-data directory, which confuses users, etc. I'd really like to use 3 volumes - a source, a backup-copy, and an increment volume. This would allow a more exact copy to exist, and would also take care of the problem of having an rdiff-backup-data directory in your source. Since the increments would be "out-of-band" with respect to the file structure on the disks, it would eleminate the possiblity of collision.

Naturally, I don't think this option if for everyone, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to implement. Are we just talking about replacing all instances of rdiff-backup-data with "IncrementLocation/rdiff-backup-data"? Or are there other stronger restrictions that I'm not seeing? I'm not trying to side-track this thread from the original topic, just throwing out a suggestion that I'm greedily looking for, and that may solve this issue at the same time. If anyone is familiar with the source, I'd appreciate any insight. (Of course with my appologies for not having delved into the source myself.)

-Ty!

--
 Ty! Boyack