Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Not excluding all paths in exclude file?

From: J. Norment
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Not excluding all paths in exclude file?
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 15:37:40 -0500

I am using the same version as you.

I haven't had time to run the tests that you suggest. I did notice after reading the documentation for the hundredth time, that it does say that command line include directives and file include directives are not processed the same -- and it appears that include-file-globbing directives are processed the same... but it is difficult for me to discern exactly what I should be telling it to do in order to skip the entire tree under a path...

I'm also stuck in that I don't know how to reset the backup... wiping out the whole path (including all the data backed up) seems like it would work --- but I remember it failing somehow...

How do you reset the backup so that it backs up as if it is backing up for the first time?

Mike Bydalek wrote:

J. Norment wrote:
I'm having difficulties getting rdiff-backup to properly ignore a path
when doing a backup.  I've got it ignoring one path in the excludes
file, but not the following path ... which has me pretty confused. Does the following output look sane? (Any help is greatly appreciated!!)

I am having a similar problem which may be related.  In my situation, I
want to backup /usr/directory but not /usr/directory/temp.  When I
--include /usr/directory and then --exclude /usr/directory/temp, the
include overrides the exclude.

address@hidden backup-repo] cat
/home/shares/script/linux/backup-repo/rdiff-excludes

/home/shares/script/linux/backup-repo/rdiff-repo
/home/shares/script/linux/backup-repo/files
/home/shares/share.ppsi/no.backup
/home/shares/music

What about the /home/shares/script/linux/backup-repo directories?  Do
both rdiff-repo and files get skipped?  What if you create another
directory in /home/shares/share.ppsi and exclude that as well?

The way I have my setup is opposite as yours, so I'm curious if there is
a big problem here or not.  I'll also do some testing if I have time to
see what happens.

Also, what version are you using?  I'm running 1.0.4 on all my servers.

-Mike