Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Not excluding all paths in exclude file?

From: Mike Bydalek
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Not excluding all paths in exclude file?
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:34:30 -0700

J. Norment wrote:
> I'm having difficulties getting rdiff-backup to properly ignore a path
> when doing a backup.  I've got it ignoring one path in the excludes
> file, but not the following path ... which has me pretty confused.
> Does the following output look sane?  (Any help is greatly appreciated!!)

I am having a similar problem which may be related.  In my situation, I
want to backup /usr/directory but not /usr/directory/temp.  When I
--include /usr/directory and then --exclude /usr/directory/temp, the
include overrides the exclude.

> address@hidden backup-repo] cat
> /home/shares/script/linux/backup-repo/rdiff-excludes
>
> /home/shares/script/linux/backup-repo/rdiff-repo
> /home/shares/script/linux/backup-repo/files
> /home/shares/share.ppsi/no.backup
> /home/shares/music

What about the /home/shares/script/linux/backup-repo directories?  Do
both rdiff-repo and files get skipped?  What if you create another
directory in /home/shares/share.ppsi and exclude that as well?

The way I have my setup is opposite as yours, so I'm curious if there is
a big problem here or not.  I'll also do some testing if I have time to
see what happens.

Also, what version are you using?  I'm running 1.0.4 on all my servers.

-Mike