[rdiff-backup-users] OverflowError: long int too large to convert to int

From: Sergi Tur Badenas
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] OverflowError: long int too large to convert to int
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:24:42 +0200

Hello,

First of all sorry for my poor English. Today and yesterday I was trying to configure rdiff-backup using the package slbackup from debian-edu. I have a lot of problems related with Overflow, differnet versions, etc.... I tried diferent versions of rdiff-backup, diferent machines I compiled the code and debuged the error, I read about python and long int, ints ...... I see some threads about this topic or related and somebody tells that perhaps it was a problem with python version 2.3. I tried 2.4 version without succes....

Finally It was all easier!!!!! The problem is that rdiff-backup use ssh to connect to the remote machine, execute commands like echos or similar and parse the output.... My problem was that i have some echos in .baschrc file in the home of the remote user (root).

I have something like:

echo " You are connectec as root! Be careful

This was processed by rdiff-backup as garbage an this was the origin of all problems. Afeter removing echos from .bashrc all started to work!

I expect that this message coul help somebody....

Maybe it coul be possible to use another method in new versions of rdiff in order to avoid this kind of errors....

bye