Re: [rdiff-backup-users] newbie, mac os x

From: Peter Valdemar Mørch
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] newbie, mac os x
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 16:11:51 +0200

Enrique Vetere evetere-at-gmail.com |Lists| wrote:
Hi,
I'm beginning to use rdiff-backup on mac os x. I'd like to backup to an externaly mounded volume (via samba on a remote win xp).
I'm getting:

Warning: hard linking not supported by filesystem at /Volumes/ prometeo.local

Hi there,

rdiff-backup has a "--no-hard-links" switch to avoid that.

However, problems with fsync on smb mounts is probably going to kill you, just as it did me and others. See the thread called:

   rdiff-backup + smbfs = :'(

See e.g. here for two workarounds:
http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/FsyncErrorError

The first one requiring an unauthorized patch to the code, and the other using another filesystem in a file on the windows mount.

I know that OS X is FreeBSD underneath, so I don't know exactly what you'll run into, but that has been my experience on Linux.

As it is right now, I don't think rdiff-backup works from Linux or Unix with windows mounts out-of-the-box.

Peter

--
Peter Valdemar Mørch
http://www.morch.com