Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Wish list: Don't start backup if there's not en

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Wish list: Don't start backup if there's not enough space
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 22:32:20 +0100 (BST)

Hi Erik,

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Erik Forsberg wrote:

Now and then, my backup server's diskspace gets full, and this most
often happens during a backup. This means I have to run a rdiff-backup
--check-destination-dir which takes some time. Also, due to
restrictions in the setup, I have to login to the backup server and do
this by hand.

Would it be possible for rdiff-backup to make an estimation of how
much space is needed, and exit with a warning about this instead of
messing up the destination directory after an unclean exit due to full
disk?

Seconded. In fact, even making rdiff-backup fail gracefully when out of disk space would help a lot. I have had my metadata irretrievably corrupted several times when the destination disk ran out of space, and therefore lost all my backup history.

Cheers, Chris.
--