[Fwd: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backup error due to different versions of

From: Brian C
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backup error due to different versions of rdiff-backup]
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:40:10 -0800

[Failed to hit reply-all. Here it is for the archive.]

Hi Scott,

Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
I am experiencing a strange backup problem, as described below:
[snip]
Warning: Local version 1.1.5 does not match remote version 0.13.4.
[snip]
Server may work, but there is a version mismatch:
Local version: 1.1.5
Remote version: 0.13.4
[snip]
My questions:
How do I get both to be the same versions? I run Debian 3.1 on both machines
and keep things updated with apt-get update/upgrade.
Scott

Your local server that has 1.1.5 must be running Debian Unstable as
that's the version of rdiff-backup in Debian Unstable right now. Your
remote server with 0.13.4 must be running Debian Stable as that's the
version of rdiff-backup in Debian Stable right now.

You can confirm this by checking your apt sources in /etc/apt/sources.list

You have several options to get both systems using the same
rdiff-backup. One would be to upgrade the stable server to unstable.
(This might not be wise if that server is mission-critical.)

Another option would be to uninstall rdiff-backup from both systems and
then just download 1.0.4 from the website and compile it on both
systems. The installation is extremely simple, but you can't use the
Debian version of librsync. So, as root do this on each machine:

Step 1: Get Python dependencies.

# apt-get install python2.3 python2.3-dev python2.3-pylibacl
python2.3-pyxattr

(Those last two are optional, but you might as well...)

Step 2: Get librsync.

# wget
http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/librsync/librsync-0.9.7.tar.gz
# tar zvxf librsync-0.9.7.tar.gz