[rdiff-backup-users] Re: getting oriented questions

From: Chinook
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: getting oriented questions
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:38:49 -0400

Ok, lets take a different shot at this :-)

I would like to checkout rdiff-backup usage on Mac OS X (10.4.2)

1)  Are there any other such users out there?

2) I want to use the full functionality but there are two limitations, namely ACLs and EAs. The various port packages have "librsync" included as a dependency but do not include pylibacl and pyxattr.

   2a)  EA support: supposedly with "pyxattr" recognized, but in Mac OS
   X the proper module is "xattr" which I have in my pythonmac 2.4.1
   installation (/usr/local/) and in the DarwinPorts environment
   (/opt/local/).  Other than my PATH variable, how do I get
rdiff-backup to recognize "xattr?"
   2b) ACL support: supposedly with "pylibacl" recognized, but I can't
   find any such thing for Darwin.  The "standard" download setup.py
   checks for Linux and Free-BSD only and quits.  Having looked (with
   my limited understanding) at the Carbon "FPGetACL" which pylibacl
   would, I believe, have to get down to, I'm not adventurous enough to
   just add Darwin to the setup.py.  Is there any merit in pursuing
this aspect?

Thank you,
Lee C