[rdiff-backup-users] NFS Rmdir Failing fix

From: Bernd Schubert
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] NFS Rmdir Failing fix
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 01:17:18 +0200

Hello,

could someone with better python and rdiff-backup knowledge than me (just a
very python newbie, today my first python book arrived) please confirm the
attached patch will cause no harm?

This nfs rmdir problem is for sure no nfs bug, rdiff-backup only forgets to
close a filehandle. The nfs-lock-daemon will rename those files to .nfs...
files which cannot be delete until rdiff-backup will be closes. In principle
in Linux it also works that way on other filesystems, only the kernel allowes
to delete the partent directory and everything else, but silently doesn't
delete it until the filehandle is closed.

By tracing(*) the code I believe to have found the function that forgets to
close the filehandle, see the attached patch. It now seems to work fine over
nfs.

Thanks,
        Bernd

(*): Thanks goes to 'Malaprop' in the #chipy channel for pointing me to the
nice trace-howto, as python-newbie I had no clue how to do that:
http://www.dalkescientific.com/writings/diary/archive/2005/04/20/tracing_python_code.html

--
Bernd Schubert
PCI / Theoretische Chemie