Re: [rdiff-backup-users] 0.13.6 on macosx client

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] 0.13.6 on macosx client
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 21:10:01 -0700

> Osx backups seem to work well, but repeated backups show a disturbing
> trend -
> The mirror metadata file seems to be a fully copy each time.
> So for a backup that had almost no changes,
> I still get a 20MB mirror increase, due to what appears to be a full
> copy of the metadata.
> Is there anyway to limit this to JUST the needed metadata changes?
> I can see several machines having MOST of their backup disk space tied
> up in meta snapshots.

No, there is currently no way to do what you want.  It is a sensible
idea, and the filenaming format (e.g. .snapshot vs .diff) was designed
so this functionality could be added, but it hasn't yet.

But I think for the vast majority of situations the threat of a
majority of disk space being consumed by meta snapshots seems remote.
The metadata is compressed and takes up only a few bytes per file, so
if the mirror_metadata file is 20MB the source data is probably 20GB+.
Then it would take about 1000 sessions before the metadata overtook
the the actual data, even the source remained complete unchanged for
all 1000 sessions.

--
Ben Escoto