Re: [rdiff-backup-users] clue?

From: Harry Coin
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] clue?
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 16:43:52 -0600

Clint,

I noticed there is something librsync specific in rdiff-backup. It appears not enough to have librsync 9.7 installed, but to be sure that rdiff-backup is deinstalled, remade and reinstalled afterward. Also the librsync.h file is different between 9.6 and 9.7 and there is a dependency for it in rdiff backup.

I noticed on one system I have that is not X11, just a command line box that installing librsync got v9.6. But on an xorg/kde box librsync binaries got upgraded to v9.7 though freebsd thinks they are still 9.6. The actual content of the binaries was 9.7. I installed rdiff-backup later on that box and it worked-- but that box was the backup file source, not the backup computer. So the moral is:

Make sure you've cleaned off and then reinstalled rdiff backup AFTER you've got librsync 9.7 installed on the machine not running rdiff-backup --server.

It kicks off once a night so I'll check it again tomorrow. But, amazingly, when I came into work today the backup system was powered down (which only happens if there was no error reported during the attempt the night before). Still a chance of some problems, so I'm doing a huge diff via NFS now which will take hours. It's been running for a while now and the comparisons of the big files are ok so far.

HTH

Harry