Re: [rdiff-backup-users] --include-list/--exclude-list

From: Keith Edmunds
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] --include-list/--exclude-list
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:55:52 +0100

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:18:50 +0100
Gavin Henry <address@hidden> wrote:

> If I set the remote directory to / and then just use either an include or
> exclude list to narrow down what I want backed up, is this the correct
> way?

[Hi Gavin]. It depends what you want to achieve. Personally, I do not back
up installed software (other than the /usr/local tree) because, in the
event of a complete system loss, I would rebuild the system from the
distribution before restoring any data. I generally back up the following
(notes in parentheses):

/home (user data)
/etc (configuration info)
/usr/local (locally installed non-distribution software)
/var/www (local websites)
/var/lib/samba (if you're using tdb backend, the passwords are stored here)

Before the backup starts, I put the following in a directory which will be
backed up:

/usr/src/linux/.config (kernel configuration file)
MySQL/PostgreSQL dump (database backup)
output of "fdisk -l" for each disk (partition table)

Finally, I generate a list of all installed packages and put it in one
of the directories to be backed up, which makes rebuilding a system from
scratch much easier.

I drive the whole backup from a command file, which also generates status
files which indicate to remote management programs the state of the backup
on each system.

If you want more info, feel free to contact me.

Keith

  Small business computer support: http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk
       Linux consultancy: http://www.TheLinuxConsultancy.co.uk