[rdiff-backup-users] Problem backing up on cygwin

From: phowell
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Problem backing up on cygwin
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 07:07:56 +0100

Hi

version (from direcrory names)
 Rdiff-backup = rdiff-backup-0.13.4
 librsync = librsync-0.9.6
 cygwin = lib.cygwin-1.5.10-i686-2.3

Each time I run the backup it fails. I remove the rdiff-backup-data and try again....

$ rdiff-backup /cygdrive/c/111 /cygdrive/c/1b
Detected abilities for source (read only) file system:
  Access control lists                         Off
  Extended attributes                          Off
  Mac OS X style resource forks                Off
  Mac OS X Finder information                  Off
Warning: ownership cannot be changed on filesystem at /cygdrive/c/1b/rdiff-backu
p-data
Detected abilities for destination (read/write) file system:
  Characters needing quoting                   '^a-z0-9_ -.'
  Ownership changing                           Off
  Hard linking                                 On
  fsync() directories                          Off
  Directory inc permissions                    On
  Access control lists                         Off
  Extended attributes                          Off
  Mac OS X style resource forks                Off
  Mac OS X Finder information                  Off
Fatal Error: Bad rdiff-backup-data dir on destination side

The rdiff-backup data directory
/cygdrive/c/1b/rdiff-backup-data
exists, but we cannot find a valid current_mirror marker.  You can
avoid this message by removing the rdiff_backup_data directory;
however any data in it will be lost.

Probably this error was caused because the first rdiff-backup session
into a new directory failed.  If this is the case it is safe to delete
the rdiff_backup_data directory because there is no important
information in it.

I have compiled the librsync and installed rdiff-backup and everything seemed to work ok. I assume it has all compiled ok.

The rdiff-backup-data directory is created and the chars-to-quote and the backup log files are created.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have use rdiff-backup on our Linux machines for about 18 months both local and remote and am so thankful I have been! Thanks to everyone involved in rdiff-backup!

Peter

--
Peter J. Howell
Energy Auditing Agency Ltd. UK