[rdiff-backup-users] Switching from Incremental to Total

From: Mike Brown
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Switching from Incremental to Total
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 19:04:02 -0700

I didn't see this in the archives. And I'm not really sure how I would even search for it....

What I've already done is backed up individual directories by themselves. So I did:

rdiff-backup host.network.org::/bin /mybackup/bin

and I did

rdiff-backup host.network.org::/usr /mybackup/usr

and so on for pretty much all my directories that reside in the root (/).

I did it this way because I've never used rdiff-backup before and wanted to see how it worked (if it worked!) and see what it did to my bandwidth.

Now I want to go back and use a complete backup with a single command, doing something like:

rdiff-backup --exclude /proc --exclude /tmp host.network.org::/ /mybackup/

The question is, because I already have several "rdiff-backup-data" directories (one for each directory I backed up using the incremental method) will this cause a problem when I go back and try to back up everything under the root direcetory (/) using a single step? And more importantly, will it figure out that it already has, pretty much, a complete backup of all these directories and not needlessly recopy this stuff? Will it find all these rdiff-backup-data directories? Or even if it doesn't, will it see that there are already good copies of the files there?

Thanks.
Mike

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/