[rdiff-backup-users] restoring the atime after backing up files ...

From: Luke Mewburn
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] restoring the atime after backing up files ...
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 17:17:38 +1000

A feature I would like to see in rdiff-backup is the ability
to restore the atime of a file after backing it up.

Currently the OS modifies the atime as rdiff-backup reads
the file (as is expected) to back it up, and rdiff-backup
makes no attempt to restore it once finished.

This causes problems for my mbox-style mail folders, which my mail
reader (mutt) determines have "new" mail when the mtime is newer
than the atime.

Are there any plans to implement ``atime restoration after backup''?
Note that pax(1) has -t, which is documented in IEEE Std 1003.1,
2004 Edition as:
    -t  When reading files from the file system, and if the user
        has the permissions required by utime() to do so, set the
        access time of each file read to the access time that it
        had before being read by pax.

Cheers,
Luke.