Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Cygwin/Windows

From: Andrew K. Bressen
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Cygwin/Windows
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 14:17:02 -0400

Ben Escoto <address@hidden> writes:
>> To recap, if you're passing arguments to rdiff-backup via a windows
>> command line:
>>
>> - All slashes after the first should be forward slashes.
>> - It's not case-sensitive before the first forward slash, and is
>> case-sensitive afterwards.
>>
>> So if you're referring to, for example, C:\DFS\Root
>>
>> - C:\DFS/Root is correct
>> - c:\dfs/Root is correct
>> - C:\DFS\Root is not correct
>> - c:\dfs/root is not correct

I think there is another way.
On the cygwin boxes I've played with,
there is an all-forward-slash way to refer to paths
from within the cygwin environment.

/cygdrive/c/  is the c drive,
/cygdrive/d/  the d drive, and so on.

/cygdrive and the drive letter are lower case,
and being unixy, I'm pretty sure everything is case sensitive,
so for example I exclude

  /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/Grace Hopper/Local Settings/Temporary
Internet Files

from backups to avoid backing up internet explorer cache files, and

  /cygdrive/c/PAGEFILE.SYS

to avoid backing up the windows paging file.

This notation works at the very least for arguments to rsync from
within a bash script on windows 2k and xp machines using current cygwin
and the bash and rsync it supplies on an ntfs filesystem.