Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup and oracle

From: David Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup and oracle
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:59:24 +1000

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 23:54, Thomas S. Dixon wrote:
> Greetings,
> I was just wondering if anyone was currently using rdiff-backup to
> backup their oracle databases? Do you have any experiences or thoughts
> to share about this setup?

I have no exprience using them directly, but my strategy would be to
write a fairly simple dump script that kept the database online, dumped
out the data to an sql file (hotbackup). then rdiff-backup would work
against the dump file. If you dump out the same stuff every day, you
should be able to get decent diffs off it. only problem is making sure
the hotbackup script does what you want.
I had a client that had someone write one for them once. They then
backed up the dumps to tape. Seemed to work well. Tape sucks tho.

google search for hotbackup finds this:

http://home.clara.net/dwotton/dba/hotbackup.htm

dave