[rdiff-backup-users] rotation schedule: request for feature/contrib

From: Douglas F. Calvert
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rotation schedule: request for feature/contrib
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:39:46 -0500

Hello,
 First I must thank you guys for a wonderful backup program. I have
tried a million different backup tools and I was either confounded by
the complexity (amanda) or left longing for more features (tar:).
 I have been using rdiff-backup for a couple of weeks now and I have
begun to think about how I am going to cleanup old backups. I do not
wish to delete all backups older than Xdays though. I would like to have
a rotation schedule that allows more flexibility and lets me keep older
backups but with longer intervals. For instance I would be interested in
something like the following:

>From Now to 3 weeks ago:
Daily Backups
>From 3 weeks ago to 4 months ago:
One backup per week
>From 4 months ago to 1 year ago:
One Backup every two weeks
>From 1 year ago to the big bang:
Monthly backups

Are there any plans for implementing more intelligent logic in the keep
older than functions? And/or has anyone implemented something like this
on their own with a fancy shell script or three?

Thanks a lot...
-dfc

--
Douglas F. Calvert <address@hidden>