Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Initial Backup failure

From: Drrighteous
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Initial Backup failure
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:41:06 EDT

If I'm reading the error message correctly, the first line,
"Connection reset by peer" is an ssh error.  Because ssh fails,
rdiff-backup complains about a broken pipe.

rdiff-backup does not try to do networking on its own---it assumes it
has a bidirectional pipe between the server and client.  So the
problem seems to be with ssh.  I don't have any tips for better ssh
connections, but perhaps someone else on the list does.

But if you can't fix it, you could try splitting up the job into
sections that succeed most of the time (and retry the failures).  You
could also look for some utility instead of or inaddition to ssh that
can give you a more reliable pipe.
Well I do understand that this is in fact an issue of SSH, but I am operating over a internet based connection, and the fact that it was able to transfer over 30,000 files before a single SSH pipe was broken is a good statement of my connectivity. I just would have thought that if rdiff-backup failed in a connection, that it would at least retry.

Otherwise, I saw no mention of how to initially do seperate partial backups that eventually get "combined" into a single one. Or is it possible for me to create a NFS connection for the initial (large) backup, and then use SSH connections just for the incrementals? If so, do I have to edit the rdiff-backup files to reflect that this isn't a "different" source?

Any advice would be great.

David