Re: [rdiff-backup-users] making intermediate destination directories

From: Keith Edmunds
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] making intermediate destination directories
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 20:58:08 +0100

On Wed, 21 May 2003 12:47:28 -0700
Ben Escoto <address@hidden> wrote:

> Why not just make /backups/usr?

The remote user carries out backups using ssh keys (as detailed in the
unattended rdiff-backup document). They do not have access to the backup
server other than via this mechanism. So, if they decide that they want
to backup, say, /usr/local/bin, they have to either ask someone to
create the target directory or backup the whole of /usr.

> The worry I have is that someone will
> type something like /backups/urs/local and then there won't be an
> error message when there should be.

I can understand that, so maybe there should be an explicit option on
the command line (--create-path or whatever), and only when this option
is given will the intermediate paths be created.

Or are we straying too far from what rdiff-backup is really all about? I
don't think so: I can see the opportunity to backup multiple, untrusted,
machines with rdiff-backup, and allow them to create the backup tree
that they want.

Keith

--
Keith Edmunds